Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A life of faith...or a life of fear?

What drives you in life? Is faith behind the things you do? Or do you find yourself being driven to do things by fear?


I was so proud of my husband yesterday afternoon at our first staff meeting at the new job. We've been at GVCS Junior, which is almost entirely separate from GVCS- our former school. The only thing the two schools have in common is that they are owned by the same man- Reverend Jean Seok Nam. Other than that, there's really no connection between the two school. GVCS Junior is a small English-learning Academy. Taylor teaches an adorable class of Kindergarteners from 9:30 AM-2:15. I am only working part-time right now, so we both have elementary classes in the afternoons. Such a drastic change from our previous school year! More on that later.

Anyway....today we had a staff meeting. GVCS Junior just came into existence about 6 months ago. It was previously another Hogwon (academy) that Reverend Nam bought and changed the name. It is still supposed to be a Christian school. We recently got a new principal who wants to have Bible classes and incorporate more of the Bible into our curriculum. Taylor and I were excited to hear that, because the curriculum is currently void of any Bible teaching. Some of the other teachers became very concerned. 

As I briefly mentioned the school is very small. One of the other teachers openly voiced her concern about losing students if we incorporate Christian classes. Even though the school is a Christian school, they have not been operating much differently than the previous Hogwon until this new principal recently came in. She wants to change things. But a few of our co-workers have allowed the fear of man to grip them and are afraid to make any changes for fear that some parents might not like it and remove their children from the school. Since the school is low on numbers already, our co-workers are afraid that the school would be forced to shut down. 

Taylor boldly stood up and said, hey, let's not let a fear of man drive us. Yes, we should use caution and wisdom, but we shouldn't allow fear of what other people may do to stop us from doing what we are supposed to be doing.

What's got you afraid?
The economy?
The stockmarket?
Your co-workers losing their jobs, and you're afraid you're next?


Fear can be crippling. It can paralyze you. Fear is not of God. 


In fact, the Bible tells us that God has NOT given us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, and of love, and of self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7).


You might be thinking,"Well, Ashley and Taylor don't know how hard it is and what the economy is like here in the States. They just got jobs..."

You're right- we may not know as well as you. We might not feel the pain you feel...but God is sovereign. TRUST IN HIM. Life is about perspective. You can choose to see the good or the bad. But spending your days worrying and being fearful won't get you very far. I can promise you that.



I like the old adage: "Worry is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere." 


God is so faithful. We will eventually come back to the US looking for jobs. At the rate it's going, the economy will be worse then than it is now. But we don't look to the economy to provide for us. God is our provider. He is our source. And He is faithful.

We have seen the hand of God providing for us in our marriage and even before our marriage time and time and time again. Trust in Him. He is good. If you're going through a hard time, take heart. Be encouraged. If you want prayer or would like to talk about this, let us know. We'd be happy to pray for you. 

I'd like to leave you with a few words....

Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. 
-Isaiah 41:10

in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
-Psalm 56:11

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?
   28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
 -Matthew 6:25-34
 


Where is your trust and confidence??

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...