Thursday, April 28, 2011

Homemade Cottage Cheese/Easter eggs

I was inspired by my cousin Dayna and her cousin and her cousin Julie to make homemade cottage cheese. Julie is also living and working as a teacher here in South Korea. She got the idea from Dayna to make cottage cheese. I've been trying to eat healthier...it's really not easy to do in Korea. Cottage cheese has always been one of those healthy snacks that I like, so I decided to try to make it.
First, you heat a gallon of milk. I took Julie's advice and did this with a double broiler...well my version of a double broiler anyway. I took one of my metal bowls and place it over a pan of boiling water. I'm a fan of saving the environment, and not wasting, so I boiled some hard-boiled eggs at the same time for Easter egg dyeing later on.

After the milk is thoroughly heated, almost to the point of boiling, you remove it from the heat and add vinegar. This is when the curds separate from the whey. Nursery rhyme, anyone?

Let sit for 30 minutes, then pour into a strainer lined with a cheesecloth, which I so conveniently found in one of my cabinets from a previous tenant.

After a few more steps, you have cottage cheese! I wasn't completely satisfied with the outcome. I have some refining to do before the next attempt, but overall it was okay for the first try.

Yay for homemade cottage cheese! And as for the Easter eggs, well we dyed them, even though they were brown. On a side note, almost 100% of the eggs in Korea are brown. I've heard that around Easter time, some of the larger stores will have white eggs, but we live in a small town, so there was no chance of that.

We only had red and green dye (sent by my Aunt Cathy back at Christmas time). I thought red and green made purple, but that didn't work. The egg on the far left is Taylor's egg. No, it is not him. It is supposed to be Keith Green. Somehow the egg turned out looking like the Keith Green egg has really bad acne. Keith Green is an old-school Christian singer from the 1970's that Taylor has grown to love. Haha. He wrote a song called "Easter Song" that Taylor played on repeat about 15 times on Easter morning. Here's a picture of Mr. Green. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...