Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter- remember this day

I'm sitting on a bus to Seoul. We're headed to one of the larger English churches in Seoul for Easter Sunday. The bus just stopped to pick up more people. Someone brought on a pungent bag of I don't know what. It smells pickled or fermented or something and they are sitting directly behind me. I've known for awhile that I have super sensors- at least when it comes to taste and smell. This usually does not work in my favor. Foods may taste richer to me but I think I'd rather have a normal sense of taste. There is actually something called Super tasters- basically an extra amount of taste buds on the tongue. That is me. This usually means that I can't tolerate spicy foods like others can. I also can't handle really strong-tasting things like blue cheese or feta cheese or certain herbs/spices. The extra sensitive sense of smell is even worse. I can smell odors that other people can't. Once again, this usually does not work in my favor. The fermented smell behind me on the bus for example- Taylor hardly smelled it but to me it was overwhelming.


Well I got sidetracked. My purpose for writing was/is about Easter but I got distracted by the pungent smell.

About Easter....

I think this is the first year of my entire life where I focused on the reason for this Holiday that we celebrate every year. Sure, I've celebrated Easter every year in the past. As a child I dyed eggs with my brothers and cousins. And of course there was the Easter Egg hunt. Even after I was too old to hunt for eggs, I still got candy (and still do). Besides all the candy and eggs, there was always the Easter family gathering. My family always gets together and has a mid-day meal after church.
That brings me to the last Easter Sunday tradition- church. We've always gone to church on Easter Sunday-sometimes Good Friday too. Through the years, I have done these things every year. Sure I probably spent some time reflecting on the Cross and what Christ has done for us but nothing has been so real as this week. I feel like all of my life I just went through the motions of celebrating Easter.

Not this time.

This past Wednesday, I felt a somberness come over me. I spent some time in prayer and reflection. Lately, Taylor and I have been watching the TV Show 24. We're in Season 4. When we get the chance throughout the week, we sit down and watch an episode. Since Wednesday, I have been so focused on this Holy Week- reflecting, reading about the life of Christ and his last days before the crucifixion. I didn't have the desire to watch any movies/tv shows this past week. On Friday night/Saturday morning we watched The Passion of the Christ. Neither of us had seen it for years. I think we were both brought to tears watching. The weight of Jesus' suffering and what He bore for us was just so heavy and overwhelming. I've never felt more grateful than I do today. We've also listened to a few Easter messages by podcast and it has focused our minds and spirits. I'm not just going through the motions this year.

I'm overwhelmed by the love of God and His great sacrifice for us.

The Bible says in John 15:13, "Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friend." He was the lamb without blemish; the sacrificial lamb that took my place and your place. He bore our sins on that cross. He suffered excruciating pain and under the hands of his tormentors, he cried," Father forgive them for they know not what they do." He was full of love and mercy even toward those who beat him until his flesh and bones were showing, who spit in his face, who nailed him to the cross. He IS full of love and mercy to us- who deny him with our lives, or actions, or even our mouths. He has unfailing love even for those who don't love Him back. Can you imagine such a pure, unselfish love?

I love this verse in Isaiah 53:5- "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed."

For us, Easter Sunday is almost over. But for most of you, the day is just beginning.

I challenge you to remember the reason for this day. Easter is a day of celebration- He has risen! The grave could not keep Him. Jesus Christ died for us and he rose to shepherd us forever. There is no other religion that can offer this. To those of you who weren't planning on going to church today, I encourage you to go. Go! Celebrate this wonderful day in which we remember that He is not dead but alive and at the right hand of the Father, interceding for us.


This is probably my favorite Easter Song- "Above All."



HAPPY EASTER!!!!





4 comments:

Therese said...

Ashley - it's an amazing feeling and feat to drown all that distract us from remembering this awesome gift given to each of us. I am not successful every day of holy week but I am always hit by the weight of the sacrifice numerous times throughout the week. The feeling of worthiness, love and selflessness weigh heavy on my heart. HE HAS RISEN!

Mesha said...

YES! (Okay, I'm going to be honest, I skimmed this blogpost yesterday, I'm sure I will read in full later)...however, I'm SOOOO excited because you've got a KOREAN clock on your blog now! Yes, now everytime I forget the change, your blog is my to go spot to know!!! YIPPEE! This is the best thing I've discovered today! :) ALSO...the little marriage ticker is cute.

Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

HI Ashley & Taylor,

Your message and video are truly inspirational.
It brings back the true meeting of Easter.
We realy enjoy all the blogs that you send.
Keep up the great work that you are doing.

Christ is with you and Taylor: Grampa Heyse

Michelle Mac said...

So great. Thanks for sharing that, Ashley/Taylor. God is so good.
Love you guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...