Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Haircut in Daejon

We have the week off for Lunar New Year (a big deal in Asia) and it has been so wonderful! This past weekend we took the girl's basketball team to Seoul to compete in a tournament. We lost and had a whole bunch of injuries but we still had a good time. I wish I had pictures but I couldn't find my camera before we left for Seoul.

We just got back from a day trip to Daejon. Daejon is where the nearest Costco is. Click here to read about our first Costco trip in Korea. What was meant to be a shorter trip turned into an all-day adventure as we drove around and looked for a huge yummy bakery that Rachael had recommended as well as an Italian restaurant. Those were never found. We also attempted to find a hair salon that I found online that actually spoke English! That was never found either. We ended up finding another hair salon that did the job just fine.

This was at the beginning of the haircut. All I wanted was a trim but I got a lot more than that. I was planning on growing my hair out until it got warmer then chopping a lot off but it still has time to grow before it gets warm.

Did I mention that NO ONE at this place spoke English? Well, that's not entirely true. Between the 2 girls that washed/cut/dried my hair, I think I heard maybe 5 words of English- "Cut? Natural curl? Beautiful." Good thing I had a picture of what I wanted. I tried telling the girls that I have thick hair but I don't think they understood until it was time to blow dry. All of a sudden, two people with 2 blow dryers were surrounding me. I like this picture because the girl on the left was trying to make herself look picture perfect when she saw Taylor pull out the camera. It was a funny moment.

I was definitely nervous about not being able to communicate what I wanted, but in the end, I was very very pleased. This haircut is just like one I got last year in the States, except for the difference in price. Today's haircut, everything included was 12,000 Won, which is roughly $10.80. I paid almost $50 last year for the same cut in the States. We've found many things in Korea to be overpriced but haircuts are definitely not one of them.

Overall, the haircut was a success!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...