Monday, February 28, 2011

Ice cream cone forgiveness

On our final day in China we went to the famous Pear Market in Beijing. Like the name says, it's most known for its pearls, but you can get everything from trinkets to teapots, clothes, purses, and pretty much anything else you desire. We were also going to go to the Silk Market (yes, known for silk, but also a variety of other things like the Pearl Market), but we got everything we wanted at the Pearl Market.

We got some amazing deals. Taylor is great at bargaining. Even the Chinese people would tell him, "You are so tough." He's got some serious skills, no joke! Here are some of the deals we got:
Suitcase: Starting Price:460 ¥($70)- bought at 155 ¥ ($23)
Dress shoes for Taylor: 550 ¥ ($84) to 115 ¥ ($17.50)
Fake Ugg boots for Ashley: 500 ¥ ($76) to 125 ¥ ($19)
Tea pot: 350 ¥ ($53) to 45 ¥ ($7)
Bamboo art: 1500 ¥ ($228) to 80 ¥ ($12)
Teapot and teacup set:400 ¥ ($60) to 50 ¥ ($7.50)
Purse: 480 ¥($73) to 100 ¥ ($15)
Tripod and camera bag: 650 ¥ ($99) to 400 ¥ ($60)- this was the most expensive and hardest to bargain, but that's because it was real, versus knock-off.
Duffel bag: 480 ¥ ($73) to 115 ($17.50)


Taylor's story:
After spending the entire morning bargaining for the lowest prices I finally cracked. Ashley was wanting to get one more carry on bag with our final bit of money. I told her she had to get it for 100 yuan max (15 dollars). We found a shop with the bag she wanted and started the process. After asking for 80 yuan we left the shop. The only problem was I did not leave in the most Christian fashion. I told the sales woman we would be her only customer, that she was crazy, and that she would have bad luck. She told me (in English),"Bad man, go away, it is impossible." She then quickly turned her back to me. Well I moved on because I knew that the bag would be at other shops and I was not going to lose my price. I pulled out 100 yuan and walked to shop after shop pointing to the bag and trying to give them 100 yuan. Every single shop (about 10 shops) told me, "It's impossible." I started to lie and say I only have 100 yuan, but really I had 180! (Note from Ashley: He wasn't really lying, because we wanted to only spend $100 on the bag, and have the rest left for lunch and transportation) Ashley talked to one woman who offered us 115, but I pulled Ashley away before she could agree. I did not want to be a liar (I was) and I wanted to "win" my final sale of the day. I went back to the first girl and told her she was bad for not going lower with her back to me the whole time. We eventually went back to the woman asking for 115 and bought the bag. She said, "I do this for your wife not for you because I like her. Maybe she will find an new husband because you are too cheap." It looks like I made quite the impression.

I left the market on a bee line to the nearest subway, my pride broken for having lost the last sale. Ashley was lagging behind telling me she was hungry and needed food asap. I cooled down and we made a u turn back to the market for food. After sitting down to eat I started feeling terrible about my behavior and wanted to correct my wrong. I decided to pull out a little more money so I could buy a "a nothing-says-I'm-sorry-like Dairy Queen ice cream cone." I got the cone and walked up to the 2nd floor and gave it to the first saleswoman. I told her I was very sorry for being rude and hoped she could forgive me. She said yes and we even took a photo together!
Usually forgiveness is it not as easy as buying someone an ice cream cone but at the Pearl Market that is exactly what needed to be done. All the other girls in shops nearby wanted to know where their ice cream cone was. Apparently I had wronged them too.

Oh and just so you know the difference between 100 yuan and 115 is $2.50

3 comments:

Dad - Hankins said...

I just read all your posts from February / March. You guys do a great job capturing your travels. Excellent pictures as well.

Taylor has learned some good negotiating skills. You just have to remember to leave the deal with both parties happy (I guess the ice cream helped).

Thanks for all the posts. I'll keep reading.

Ashley and Taylor said...

Thanks for reading! (And commenting)

Mesha said...

LOL....HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...WOW! I'd be calling you cheap too! That's hilarious, that made my day. I'm glad you went back to make right what was obviously wronged with this cute little lady. Loved this story! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...