On Tuesday and Wednesday, Tim had meetings with some of the local pastors that he had trained in ministry several years ago. Taylor, Rebekah and I went to Jireh Children's Center/School- one of Pastor Kintu's ministries. Jireh is a children's home for orphans seated upon the top of a hill. It overlooks many valleys. It was really cool for me to come here because the last time I came there were only a few buildings and one of their main problems was that there was no water. The children would have to walk 7 kilometers down the hills, with steep, rocky edges, every day to get water and bring it back to the school. Now they have water so the children don't have to walk all that way every day! There are also a lot of new buildings. It has grown so much. In addition to the children living there, it's also a school, so they get an education.
Part of Jireh Children's Center- I couldn't capture all the buildings in one picture
Every day before lunch, the children and staff have a noon-hour service. Taylor spoke at the service on Wednesday and we also taught them some songs.
Singing "Who's the King of the Jungle?"
using a child as a visual aid
We donated 2 soccer balls and 2 inflatable balls. They're playing volleyball with the inflatable watermelon ball.
The headteacher's son, Vincent. He's terribly afraid of Muzungus (white people)- especially men. I got several smiles and almost got a hug, but whenever Taylor or one of the other guys came around, he started screaming.
The other headteacher's son- Simeon, who is clearly not afraid of Muzungus.
As we were taking a tour of the campus of Jireh, we stopped by the nursery class. The sign on the door actually says "Baby Class." The children are about preschool age. I was trying to inconspicuously take a video of one of the children teaching the others but I accidentally stepped foot into the classroom which made them stop to say, "You are welcome, visitors!"
No comments:
Post a Comment