In the last post, I mentioned the Pepero holiday. Here's one of my favorites from a student. I'm starting to save notes from students. I keep them on my desk and pull them out when I feel overwhelmed or ready to give up.
Two weeks ago we had our first parent-teacher conferences. It took place on a Saturday. Since we are a boarding school, many of the parents do not live close-by and have to travel some distance to get here. This was a very interesting experience. Sometimes there weren't enough translators to go around, so the unfortunate children that were with their parents had to translate about themselves. Some of them really did not want to. They found it embarrassing to repeat back to their mom or dad that they were a good student (if that was the case). I had a few students that I absolutely did not trust to translate to their parents exactly what I was saying, so I waited until one of the bilingual staff was available. Overall, it was a good day.
Unlike the U.S., people tend to dress more formally for everyday events. It is not uncommon to get on a bus or train on a Saturday and see men in suits, or women in business attire. Parent-teacher conferences obviously warranted some extra fancy attire. Here's Taylor, Cody, and Allan at the end of the day.
I (Ashley) am proud to say that I earned a yellow belt in Taekwondo tonight. I went from the beginner white belt to the second yellow. I don't really feel that I deserve this- seriously my form was terrible! But, I am happy nonetheless. Taekwondo is a lot of mental activity in addition to physical activity. I was not aware of this. It actually requires a lot of memorization. There are over 8 different forms to memorize. Luckily, the test for yellow belt only required the first two. I was so focused on getting all the moves in the form right that I did not focus on my actual form- my punches were weak and kind of sloppy.
Here's a nice action shot:

This is my attempt to upload a short video. I don't know why it is so small but maybe you can get a little glimpse of Taeguek-2. Yay for yellow belt.
Well, it looks like the video didn't work. :( Maybe some people will be able to watch it.
Happy Thanksgiving to all our friends and family. I was thinking this morning that Thanksgiving is either #1 or #2 on my favorite holidays list. It's pushing for #1 over Christmas because it is all about family, celebration, and thanksgiving. Lately with Christmas the emphasis has been too much on gifts. I am definitely missing my family this Thanksgiving.
Eat some turkey and homemade pumpkin pie for us!
8 comments:
I got to watch the video! I fully expect for you to come home and kick my butt. Praying for you guys, love you. Keep doing what God has called you to do.
We too miss you this Thanksgiving and will be praying for the two of you. Way to kick butt Ashley now you and Austin can spar if you think you can take his extreme energy. Love you
I was able to see the video Ash. It showed up. Keep at it, I'm sure Taekwondo has to be tons of fun. I'm thinking of something different to do because my gym in Olathe is shutting down and I'm either switching gyms or going the Personal Trainer route (I really want a personal trainer again).
The students note was cool, thats gotta be rewarding when the students show their appreciation. It's amazing the impact a teacher can have on your life. To this day, I still go back to visit my 6th grade teacher once a year from my elementary school and God-willing, if I ever get married I want her to be at my wedding. She was an incredible teacher who was strict, but a ton of fun and cared about all of us deeply.
As for the translating FOR you - haha - I don't know that I'd trust just any student to do it on their behalf either. There were a couple times I wish I could've translated for my teachers, would have saved me some time of being grounded AND a few spankings as well. hahaha. I really didn't do too bad in school though.
I'm sad you aren't here this thanksgiving either and although I HOPE I wont be eating the yummy pie FOR you (seeing as I don't need it myself), I'll think of you nonetheless. I'm thankful for you yet another year Ash - thank you, thank you, thank you for praying and believing in me and for me.
Later gator!
The video worked! Something I had never seen! You are one special girl! God is using you in a great way, teaching. You have the gift I think.
We will be thinking of you on Thanksgiving. I remember my first and only Thanksgiving away from family. It was the BIG family celebration for the Johnson family. Only time we got together. I think I cried a bucket. David was in the Navy and we were in Washington. It rained which didn't help either!
Sorry we didn't send a pie crust mix and a can of pumpkin for your dinner. I thought of it too late. I hope you have a sweet time with your hubby.
Love,
Evelyn
Love all the pictures and updates! I have been having trouble posting my comments so I hope this one goes through. You, Austin, and Abby will need to spar when you get home. :) Abby is just attending because I am making her since it really increases her self control, balance, and memory. Austin loves it and puts all his strength into it. His favorite things are sparring and breaking boards. I hope you two aren't near any military skirmishes that I've been hearing about in the news. My thoughts and prayers are with you both and Happy Thanksgiving! Love, Aunt Patty
Hi Aunt Patty. Yes, your comment went through. I was very very surprised about how much TKD involves memory. I had no idea! We haven't got to do much sparring or any board breaking yet but I'm looking forward to it. I have a feeling when I come back and spar Austin he's gonna kick my butt!
Happy Thanksgiving Ashley and Taylor!! We can eat Turkey and Pumpkin Pie when you come back to visit. It will taste even better then. I give thanks that you both are safe and healthy. You both are giving a wonderful gift to the children you are teaching. Stay strong and be faithful. Ashley, congrats on the yellow belt that's quite an accomplishment is Taylor taking classes with you? We hope you can enjoy your time together on this Thanksgiving and please know that we are thinking of you and praying for you. You are both very much loved.
Love You,
Aunt Cathy
I loved the video, Ashley. We are missing you two. We will think of you while eating turkey and all the trimmings. Benny is slaving away in the kitchen at this very moment. We love ya'll.
Jo Ann
Post a Comment