Our school made a lot of changes in March. One of those changes was that they stopped serving us lunch. Now we get a daily meal allowance of 5,000 Won (~$4.40). Thankfully, a cell phone company called KT is very close (5 minutes walking) so now we go there for lunch. Here's what a week's worth of Korean cafeteria food is like.
| This is the building we go to for lunch. It's a cell phone company called KT. On the 4th floor they have a cafeteria that is open to the public. |

Monday:
-White rice
-Jaeyook Bokum- Spicy Pork and Kimchi Stirfry
-Lettuce leaves to wrap the jaeyook bokum in (on this particular day we happened to find little bugs on some of the leaves- not typical)
-Namool- soybean sprouts
-Kimchi
-Rice
-Soondooboo Jigae- Spicy soft tofu soup
-Gochujang- spicy red pepper paste
Tuesday: -White rice
-Dooboo Gooee- Fried Tofu with red sauce/chives
-some kind of spicy soup that had liver or something in it- yuck!
DotoriMok- spicy acorn jelly salad
-Kimchi
-Sigumchi Namul- Korean spinach salad kimchi- really vinegary. I took one bite and could hardly swallow
Wednesday was a National holiday in Korea because it was election day. Over 300 seats in the Senate were up for grabs. Unfortunately our school did not take the day off, even though all of the schools in the area were closed. We had to order in lunch because the KT cafeteria was closed.

Thursday:
-White rice
-Chapchae- stir-fried noodles with vegetables
-Nakji bokkeum- spicy octopus salad (I only got this for the picture)
-Kimchi jigae- Kimchi soup with soft tofu
-Kimchi
-Gochu Kimchi- hot pepper with spicy red sauce (I only got this for the picture)
Friday: I was rushing and forgot to bring my camera with me. We had white rice, kimchi, ddang kong- peanuts with sauteed soybeans; Miyeok Chomuchim- seasoned fresh seaweed; andTteok mandu-guk- rice cake and dumpling soup
Since I missed Friday, I took a picture of Monday's lunch.
-White rice with soybean sprouts
-2 different types of green kimchi
-fried egg
-red spicy sauce with chives
-Miyuk Gook- seaweed soup
As you can see, Korean food is very spicy and very red! Unfortunately for me (Ashley), I don't eat pork, seafood, or spicy food. I've managed to survive in Korea for almost 2 years despite those 3 things being in almost every Korean dish. When I tell Koreans that about myself, they seem shocked that I can eat anything here. Fortunately for Taylor, he's not as picky as me!
No comments:
Post a Comment