Friday, December 10, 2010

Merry Christmas, everyone.




(sorry it looks like the voices are off from the motions- maybe it's just appearing that way on my computer)

Although it's not the same, we are finding our own ways to celebrate the Christmas Season in Korea. My students are always asking to listen to music at the end of class. Lately I've been telling them "Ok, but only Christmas music." I had to record their little performance.

I've been thinking about the Christmas season lately. In one regard, it is nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of the season. I think most Americans have lost sight of the true meaning of Christmas. For me, I am realizing that it is not just a celebration of Christ's birth but a time of being with family. We will be missing that this year. I'm beginning to realize it's something I truly cherish. I think it is a little bit harder for me to be away at Christmas than Taylor. I have realized being married to him and just meeting so many other people in college and other places that I have a somewhat unique situation. I am so blessed to have both my mom's and dad's side of the family living in the same area. That means on holidays we get to see everyone! I never had the experience of most where you have to alternate holidays or just see 1 side of the family. I got to see everyone! Now that I am older, I realize how lucky I was. Christmas morning growing up was with our nuclear family. Then we'd go over to my mom's side for mid-day/lunch; then on to my dad's side for evening/dinner.

I am realizing now more than ever, it is not even about the presents. It's the joy of your family coming together and spending time together- this is essential for me (my love language is quality time). One of my favorite Christmas memories was when all of my aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents on my dad's side of the family picked a family in need to bless. I don't remember all the details because I was young but I do remember that my uncles did construction projects around their house, my aunts bought groceries and other items the kids needed and all of us stood outside their home and sang Christmas Carols.

I challenge you to not get caught up in the business of the season. Don't be consumed with buying presents for people. Presents do not equal love. Give your time this season- give words of affirmation. Money cannot buy happiness. If it did, rich people would never commit suicide or be so miserable. I've been inspired by something called the Advent Conspiracy. Check out this video on the "Advent Conspiracy" -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqqj1v-ZBU

here's their website for more information: http://www.adventconspiracy.org/

For more info, read this article: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/no-more-stuff-give-experiences.html

Spend less and give more (relationally).

Taylor and I want to begin a new tradition of giving experiences, rather than stuff this holiday. Do you have any creative ideas of things to give family members? For us, it is easy. We can take a trip together or find cheap/free ways to spend quality time together. But what about sisters/brothers/moms/dad/extended family? How can we give the gift of time and experience?

How can you give the gift of time to others rather than wasting time buying a gift that might be useless in 10-20 years? I challenge you to build memories with loved ones, rather than just giving "stuff".







P.S. These are the pumpkin pies I made for Thanksgiving which turned out pretty well considering that I had to modify many of the ingredients.

2 comments:

Therese said...

Ashley- I am thrilled to know the year we took care of someone who needed a little help was your fondest memory. This year we have asked everyone to not give gifts except for the younger ones and bring canned goods to be donated to a local pantry. You are so right about the Christmas frenzy that occurs & it takes strong believers to truly rejoice in the reason why we were given the gift of Jesus. Love you, Therese

Mesha said...

I'm more excited for this Christmas than I have been EVER! Why? Because all of the stress is gone. This year (finally) my Dad made the decision that we are done with gifts until possibly and IF grandkids arrive. Instead of stressing out and spending money that we shouldn't spend on gifts that we could realistically get any time of year, we are going to just have family time. Probably Christmas Eve and Christmas day. We are doing games, listening to music, watching movies, being comfy (me in sweats and/or PJ's) and just having family time together. On Christmas day we'll do a meal together, probably with Grandma too. I'm so, so, so excited and I feel like it's going to be a much needed breath of fresh air for me to just relax in at home with them and just love each other. I get so stressed out every year at Christmas time, especially since I've been an adult because there is this undue burden to "perform" and have the best gift for everyone. I hate feeling like my gifts just don't add up for the people I love because they will never be an adequate portrayal of my love for them. This year we've erased that and it's just going to be a lot of relaxed FUN! I can't wait! We've also talked about volunteering as a family going forward. This year is kinda late sense a lot of organizations fill up with volunteers fast around the holidays, but we want to do that together too. I'm excited!

I MISS YOU THOUGH. :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...