An Air Conditioner!!!!! It is so humid here-probably because it literally has rained almost every day that we've been here. The days it has not rained, it most likely rained during the night. I wonder if this is what Seattle is like?
Anyway...we actually bought the A/C Unit from someone off of Craig's List. Yes, they have Craig's List in Korea too.We had to hire an instillation man to come install. The day he came was the day Korea decided to cool off. No joke. It has been so hot (and humid) here since Day 1. The very day we get our A/C installed, it starts cooling off and everyone starts turning the A/C off and opening windows. Hummph! It is still nice to have and we have still used it.
The next picture is of our living room.
The furniture was already here when we arrived. We've only turned on the tv once or twice and actually found Aladdin in Korean! One very important thing to note in Korea (and many Asian countries) : you ALWAYS take off your shoes before you enter a home. There's usually an entryway where you leave the shoes and then you enter the apartment barefoot. The people living at the apartment usually have house shoes that they wear around.
Here is the view of our entryway where you leave your shoes:

It's actually a really wise thing to do. There are so many chemicals and dirty thing we track into our homes with our shoes..this solves the problem! Even servicemen remove their shoes. When the A/C Instillation Man came the other day, the first thing he did was remove his shoes.
The next picture is of Taylor cooking in our kitchen.
The table in the bottom portion of the picture can be pushed in underneath the counter where the microwave is to provide more space. We do not have an oven. That is one of the things I definitely miss and I know that my longing for an oven will only continue to grow. I guess we know why there's a lot of stir-fry in Asian cooking...everything is done on the stove! :( We're looking on Craig's list for an oven, but even then- the ovens are the size of a toaster oven so I can't quite fit a whole pie or cake in there. I guess that's another reason why Asians are so thin...they don't have all the desserts we do!
Behind Taylor is our laundry room

This is another very typical Asian thing- no dryer! Everything we wash must be hung to dry. Let me just tell you- when you live in a humid climate with no A/C- it takes 2-3 days for things to dry, and even then, they're still a little damp! Dryers are not very common here but it is something that usually is provided for the foreign (American) teachers who work at the school. So hopefully we'll be getting a dryer soon. But now that we have A/C things dry faster. I've heard that in the winter time with the dry air and heated homes that clothes dry super fast. We'll see!
Notice the window in the laundry room to the right of the washer. That actually opens into our office.
Directly across from the office is our bedroom. For the first 3 weeks, this is what we had for beds:
In the top corner there is a shower head. The whole bathroom is essentially the shower. See the drain below the sink? We do not use this bathroom to shower because everything in the entire bathroom gets wet. On the other side of the apartment we have a larger bathroom with a full shower/bathtub.
Outside of our bedroom is a little screened in porch area that we don't use for anything except drying clothes.
Let's move on to the 3rd room.
This is the room where YOU get to stay when you come to visit!Behind the glass doors/windows there is a small screened in porch area that is not connected to the 2 off the master bedroom and living room. This is where my wardrobe is and also all of our extra luggage.
Across from the 3rd bedroom is our larger bathroom.
I was very excited last week to actually get a shower curtain!!!This is what our bathroom looked like before the shower curtain:
Basically, every time we took a shower, water got all over the floor, the mirror, the sink, the walls..... I am so happy to have a curtain now!This is our apartment! Hope you enjoy the pictures!
6 comments:
Awesome! looks great! hope you guys are having fun!
Looks like a nice place. It is very interesting to see the differences between apartments there versus ones here. Hope you are having a good time.
DUDE THIS IS AWESOME. I love your blog, and I love your apt!! How blessed. <3
your apartment looks great! i am happy to hear that you and your hubby are in Korea! thank you so much for your encouraging words. God has been so faithful to me...<3
yeah, how much fun! If i need to escape here i know I have a place in Korea!:-)
I LOVE IT! I want to come visit you so bad Ashley! I don't know how I'll afford it but I would love to come visit. *sigh* We'll see!
I bet the 2 twin beds thing stunk bad, but your new platform bed is cool. I know it's gotta be driving you NUTS to not have an oven, for me I'd live, for YOU - no baking, no goodies. Taylor has to hate that a lot of his wife's homemade goodies are gone too.
Can't wait to see more of your life in Korea. Learn all the healthy tips for me so I can stay super healthy like them. :)
Post a Comment